For Music Education majors to advance to student teaching after teacher certification approval, the following criteria must be met.  This information is provided by the School of Music Education.

  • Completion of the general Music Education core, including completion of the 12 semester hours of English and three semester hours of speech.
  • No final grade below C for any professional development course or certification area course.
  • Completion of the requirements for the student's teaching field(s) including any courses specified as prerequisites for student teaching.
  • Completion at Wayland of a minimum of nine semester hours of required professional Music Education courses at the student's level of certification.
  • Completion of a criminal background check.
  • Recommendation by the Teacher Music Education Council (the council is composed of faculty members from the various Schools offering teacher certification). It is the function of the committee to review the student's application and determine whether the student is eligible and will be admitted to the student teaching program.


alt : lw-teach-4.avi


I student-taught at Frenship, where I am now teaching, and I think my most memorable experience was getting to conduct the choir at  a concert.  It was so cool to be in front of them, knowing how hard we had worked, and see them accomplish something so beautiful.  It was very full-filling!

I had an Music Ed methods class that had me lead some warm-ups.  It was in front of my peers, but I believe that is even more nerve-racking, and I think that made doing it in front of the students even easier.  The methods classes are great for “classroom practice” which you really  don’t get until you student-teach.  It’s nice to have positive feedback and criticism.

Lauren Willson Snow


Please read carefully the following information concerning the final teacher certification process.


The State, not the University, certifies an individual to teach. Therefore, certification is not automatic with the completion of an approved program of study. Upon completion of the required program of study and passing the appropriate state licensure test (TExES), a student may apply for certification through the Certification Officer.  Students should make application for the appropriate certificate or endorsement during the last semester in which they complete all requirements for a certificate or endorsement. The application and required fee shall be forwarded to the State Board for Educator Certification, which has authority for the issuance of certificates/licenses. In compliance with 19 TAC SS141.5, every applicant must be investigated for a record of a felony or misdemeanor conviction. Students who have completed the teacher Music Education program and have not taken the state license test (TExES) the year following the completion of the program may be required to do additional work or review to obtain permission to take the state (TExES) test.

Students wanting a teaching certificate from a state other than Texas must apply with the state agency of the state where certification is sought. Most states have established agreements with Texas, and the Texas teaching certificate is honored. Each state may require the student to take additional tests or courses.