Returns to home page NEWS RELEASE
Release date:February 22

Wayland installing carbon monoxide detectors after students fall ill

Maintenance crews at Wayland Baptist University are working to install carbon monoxide detectors in all campus residence halls after two students apparently became ill in one of the women's dormitories.

According to Dr. Paul Armes, president of Wayland's Plainview campus, two female students were taken to Covenant Hospital Plainview on Monday for testing to ensure no lasting effects from the apparent leak.

"We've tested all our equipment and can find no fault there, so we feel like it might have been weather-related," Armes said.

"These older units are not equipped with forced exhaust mechanisms like the newer ones are. When we begin replacing those units, it won't be a problem."

Though all equipment at Ferguson Hall was found in working order, the university immediately installed carbon monoxide detectors in the dormitory and more were ordered for the remaining campus dorms. Such detectors are already in place in Wayland's married student housing units.

No leak problems have been detected in any other student dormitory. The students were given oxygen treatments and no further treatments were needed. Ferguson's residence hall supervisor Patti Alter said about a dozen students complained of headaches but that no one had any bad repercussions from the incident. She said no such incidents had occurred previously in the dorm.